1. Don’t make negative assumptions, and jump to negative conclusions.
2. Don’t play the blame game. Sometimes bad stuff happens, we have a bad day, or we just get it wrong.
3. Be there for one another. Remember, you’re pulling together as a team. If your partner needs support then be there for them.
4. Respond instead of reacting. The latter are knee jerk responses; the former are more positive, considered and controlled.
5. Respect and honour each others’ feelings – even if they’re different to your own.
6. Try and find the real source of your stress. It isn’t always the relationship. (For example, sometime we feel worried about money or exams – but then we start to pick on our partner instead.)
7. Look for ways to affirm each other. Think of different ways to build each other up.
8. Be affectionate and demonstrate your love.