1. Accept the fact that change has to happen – and things can’t be the same as before. Although this can be painful, the hard truth is that constant change is a part of life.
2. Try and understand what happened – and why things have to change. If we can recognize the causes, and the role we played, we can chose to avoid that happening again …. Or at least do things differently the next time around.
3. Learn what you can about different strategies, tools and techniques for succeeding in life. For example, surf the web, or read self help books, or talk to people whose lives model success.
4. Take the time to think through what matters most to you – is it having a career or a certain kind of job? Or is it being and having a really good friend? Or is it finding the right partner and, in time, settling down? Then, prioritise your goal and try and break it down into the small steps you must take to reach the final goal you’ve set.
5. Forgive yourself and let go of the past. It’s hard to move forward if you’re constantly weighed down by negative emotions, and by painful regrets.
6. Also, forgive other people for the role they have played. You won’t be free to move on until you choose to set them free.