1. Accept, and express, the painful feelings you have. You’ve lost a part of you – and that can’t be ignored.
2. Be open to considering the painful fact that you may have played a part in them walking away. Is there something you can learn, so it’s different next time round?
3. After steps one and two, decide to move on. Don’t keep agonising over what has gone wrong.
4. Crush your harsh inner critic – don’t put yourself down. You have good points and strength, so think about them.
5. Throw yourself into your hobbies, other friendships, or work. Look for happiness and meaning in those areas, instead.
6. Don’t waste your time thinking of how to wreck their life, or make your old friend jealous, or of ways to get revenge.
7. If you see them, be polite – but keep the conversation short. You’ve other things to do – and they’re no longer in your life.
8. See it as a new beginning, and opportunity, to move on with your life and find a new (and better?) friend.