Good mental health isn’t something you have, but something you do. To be mentally healthy you must value and accept yourself. This means that:
- You care about yourself and you care for yourself.
- You love yourself, not hate yourself.
- You look after your physical health – eat well, sleep well, exercise and enjoy yourself.
- You see yourself as being a valuable person in your own right. You don’t have to earn the right to exist.
- You judge yourself on reasonable standards. You don’t set yourself impossible goals, such as ‘I have to be perfect in everything I do’, and then punish yourself when you don’t reach those goals.