There are a million reasons behind what and why eat. Conscious eating is where we stop ourselves and choose to take control of this aspect of our lives. The following tips can help with this:
1. Do your own grocery shopping and pack your own snacks and meals.
2. Don’t eat while you are doing other things.
3. Be aware of the nutritional content of food. Decide to mainly eat for nourishment and health.
4. Only eat when you are hungry. (Learn to identify genuine hunger pangs.)
5. Learn to separate emotions and food. Don’t eat because someone asks you to, or has prepared food for you (eg if you are at a social event), or because you want to get your money’s worth (in a restaurant), or because you feel you should finish what’s on the plate, or because you’re bored, or for emotional reasons.
6. Chew your food very slowly and deliberately. Feel the texture and savour the taste.
7. Stop when you feel full, or have consumed enough calories for the meal. (Learn to identify feelings of satiation.)
8. Avoid addictive foods and super-size meals.