1. Being tough on yourself will lead to success. Constantly criticising every move you make will slowly wear you down and undermine your will to try.
2. Self-compassion is a form of selfishness. In fact, people who are willing to give themselves a break are much more likely to be kind to other people, too.
3. Security is something that’s achievable. The world is a changing and uncertain place. There’s little in this life that ever stays the same. It is better to aspire to be adaptable, and to learn to embrace the reality of change.
4. You should always be working to achieve some goal. Although it’s good to have a plan and direction in your life, we also need to be willing to alter our course if we learn that something different would be much better for us.
5. Other people are all normal – but there’s something wrong with you. We’re all a bit weird, and have idiosyncrasies. It’s just that you’re aware of your own quirks and flaws.
6. Acquiring some new stuff or achieving that great goal will make you happy, or will turn your life around. But the truth is that happiness is always transitory. As soon as you have grasped it – it seems to get away. (Note: According to research into positive psychology, 10% of our happiness is the result of what is happening in the environment; 50% is dictated by genes; and 40% is determined by our attitude.)
7. You need to have all the answers to live a happy life. Life is about growth and self-development … And none of us is perfect – we all make some mistakes.