1. Step back from yourself and try and understand “why you did what you did” as an outside observer. That will often help you to be more compassionate - and less self-critical, judgmental and harsh.
2. Recognise that no situation, relationship, choice, action or decision defines you as a person. They are part of the picture – but never more than that. Also, you still have the future to do things differently!
3. Accept that good and bad things happen to everyone in life. It just means you are human – and that life is never perfect. Don’t let hurt, anger, bitterness or unforgiveness transform you into someone you don’t really want to be.
4. Empty your cup of all that’s negative. Decide to be someone who’s usually positive, thankful, resilient, inspiring and free!
5. Believe in yourself, and your vision for your life. Set some goals; work towards them; keep on going; persevere.
6. Live in the present and enjoy the moment. We miss out on so much when we’re always looking back.
7. Accept that life is a journey and you’ll encounter obstacles. Decide to be flexible and learn to adapt. There are unexpected lessons that can grow and mature us so we end up better people, who have strength and character.
8. Be grateful for the people who contribute to your life. Think of all those who love you, who have shown you kindness, who have been there to support you, and who wish you well in life.