4. Creative thinking
5. Being thick skinned
6. Knowing who you are and what you want from life
7. Setting clear goals – and going after them
8. Being focused
10. Passion and enthusiasm.
1. People with mental health problems are likely to need different kinds of supports at different times.
2. Probably the most important thing you can do is to listen in a caring, and non-judgmental way. That simple act will usually mean a lot as mental health issues are often misunderstood by the general population.
3. Always treated the person with respect, acceptance and compassion.
4. You don’t have to do too much – just stay in contact with your friend, invite them over, or hang out with them.
5. Remember that your friend is looking for a friend – and not a counselor, or psychiatrist.
6. Offering practical support can be the right thing at times, as going through a hard can leave you feeling overwhelmed.
1. Remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes, does things wrongs, and has moments of regret. There are no perfect people out there. In that sense, you are just the same as everybody else.
2. Remind yourself that “that was then, and this is now”. You can’t turn back the clocks and change what you did, but you can be a different person in the future.
3. Allow yourself to experience and name the feelings you are struggling with (regret, guilt, shame, disappointment, embarrassment, sadness, etc.) – then make the decision to let those feelings go. In the end, it’s unhealthy to become attached to them.
4. Ask yourself what you can learn from the situation. What would you do differently if you found yourself in that situation again? How can it change the person you are now (so that you feel better about yourself)?
5. Recognise that failings and mistakes are part of the growth process. It’s inevitable that you’ll encounter obstacles, challenges and failures throughout life. Don’t let that stop you from really living life.
6. Remind yourself that “it was what you did, it’s not who you are.” Don’t allow any single event or experience to define you. You are more than – so don’t let that become your identity, or your destiny.
7. Give yourself the gift of a new day and a new start. Forgive yourself, let go of the past, and with confidence move on with your life.